Re: [TeXmacs] How to install Texmacs 1.0.7 on Ubuntu

  • From: Andrea Gamba <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: Kamaraju Kusumanchi <address@hidden>, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] How to install Texmacs 1.0.7 on Ubuntu
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 01:33:50 +0100

Thank you Paul, I could finally install 1.0.7 on Ubuntu 8.10 using your script.

As I suspected, mime type recognition is broken. When you create a texmacs document it is shown as a text document, and when you click on the icon it is opened with gedit.

However, I have now checked which steps should be taken to fix the problem (please see
http://library.gnome.org/admin/system-admin-guide/stable/mimetypes-database.html.en
as a reference):

1) a file

/usr/share/mime/packages/texmacs.xml

should be added to the package, containing the following lines:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<mime-info xmlns="http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/shared-mime-info";>
<mime-type type="text/texmacs">
<comment>TeXmacs Document</comment>
<glob pattern="*.tm"/>
</mime-type>
</mime-info>

(the corresponding openoffice.org-common.xml file may serve as a model).

2) an icon named 'text-texmacs.svg' (if you like scalable icons) should be copied in

/usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/mimetypes/

to be used for TeXmacs documents.

3) The commands

update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
update-desktop-database
cd /usr/share/icons
gtk-update-icon-cache --force gnome

should be issued, to refresh the mimetype and icon cache.

I hope that the corresponding changes may be easily performed on the TeXmacs package, so that the program may integrate properly with Gnome/Ubuntu desktops.

I attach here two scalable icons that can be used as 'TeXmacs.svg' and 'text-texmacs.svg' (for the application and the documents).

Andrea

image/svg

image/svg