Re: [TeXmacs] How to install Texmacs 1.0.7 on Ubuntu

  • From: Andrea Gamba <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] How to install Texmacs 1.0.7 on Ubuntu
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:09:45 +0100

Dear Bob, my point was slightly different. All previous versions of texmacs (1.06 included) required tweaking to work properly with Ubuntu. Since I am doing the tweaking anyway, I would like to help making the release of 1.07 work out of the box on Ubuntu with mime type recognition, no sh-bash problems, and working interfaces to mathematical packages.

To this aim, I tried to test existing debs of 1.07 (from Debian experimental) but they don't work for me (I get crashes). I also tried compilation of the source from ftp://ftp.texmacs.org/pub/TeXmacs/targz/TeXmacs-1.0.7.1-src.tar.gz
and it fails, with the errors reported by Paul.

Any suggestions?

Andrea

Bob Lounsbury wrote:

I've been following this thread albeit with a little confusion, and then it hit me. This is the problem with Ubuntu. There is just to much "hand holding" and now people are expecting that Ubuntu should do everything for them and anything they desire. Ubuntu provides a stable texmacs version, if you want the very latest version it's not Ubuntu's responsiblity to provide that the second it is available. Linux is not Windows, there will not always be the very latest program available for you to double-click and install, there is a standard version provided with the release so if you want the latest version it will require some work. The great thing about Debian derivatives is that this is rather trivial. If I wanted the latest version of texmacs I would:

1) Download the latest source and extract it into ~/.installed_programs/TeXmacs-1.0.7.1
2) Open a terminal and cd to ~/.installed_programs/TeXmacs-1.0.7.1
3) Run 'sudo apt-get build-dep texmacs'
4) Run './configure && make && sudo make install'

Done. Nine times out of ten that's all that's needed to have the latest version installed.

/Bob