[TeXmacs] Problem with my new installation

  • From: address@hidden
  • To: address@hidden, address@hidden
  • Subject: [TeXmacs] Problem with my new installation
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:50:50 -0400

((initial messages are below))

Thank you Khagda for your advice (about Linux and Cygwin - i will try learn about them !) and thank you for the command
startx&
it works ! Now i can run TeXmacs !
Thank you Ingolf for the information. Actually, i had tried the commands
XWin&
and
fvwm2&
but unfortunately it doesn't work.
With XWin& i've got a big black window called X Cygwin/X:0.0 (a red circle around the letter X). But this window is empty, even if i click on it. And no error message in the cygwin window (where i type the command XWin&), just a message like

$
[1] 1684

and then, after closing the black window :

[1]+ Done   XWin

The result with fvwm2& is a error message :

$ [FVWM][main]: <<ERROR>> can't open display

and then after a [enter]

[1]+ Exit 1    fvwm2

I don't know if it matters... I will work with "startw&"...

Thank you for the help !
Best regard,
Richard

////////////////////////////
MESSAGE FROM KHADGA
Hi Richards,
Few years back, when I wanted to start using linux, I thought of giving a
try with cygwin and felt that it was a mammoth task to learn linux. But
later I found it to be easier than expected. Its more about getting used
to it. It is bit different from windows, and that difference seems to be
difficult to getting used to. After few weeks, if you explore more
programs and applications in linux, you will like it. And perhaps like it
so much that you may want to stop using windows at all.
As for your problem with texmacs, it seems that you have already done all
the job. Compiling a software from the source is not an easy task! (Even
the people using linux for day-to-day work avoid doing this.) The only
thing that is remaining for you is it to type one more command before the
command texmacs
type
startx&
A weird kind of window opens (it can be made better but for the beginning
it is okay, just to learn things in small steps) click on that window and
type
texmacs& (you don't need to type &, this is only to start the process in
background).
Just make this last step and voila!
Any problem you encounter now is not with texmacs but with cygwin,
particularly, the Xserver in cygwin. Xserver is needed for graphical
interface. and the command: startx , is to start the xserver. Don't
hesitate to post the output if you encounter further problems.
Cheers,
Khadga

///////////////////////
MESSAGE FROM INGOLF

Dear Richard,
> [snip ...]

> It seemed to be ok BUT... when i called texmacs with
> "texmacs &"
>  cygwin answered :
> " fatal error : i failed to connect to Xserver in
> 'x_gui_rep::x_gui_rep' "
This is a actuall great, because it means you have got a fully working
TeXmacs. You just have to start X11 before running TeXmacs.
As said in the web page be sure that you have done each step of the
following:
  *  Launch Cygwin from your desktop using the link.
      * In the Cygwin window, launch the X server using XWin& and the
        window manager using fvwm2&.
      * In the X window, try launching an Xterm using the popup menu
        when pressing the right-hand button.
Enter the command "texmacs" in this new Window labelled Xterm. Then
everything should work as promised. I think you missed the last two
steps and entered "texmacs" directly in the first window.
Yours,
Ingolf