Re: [TeXmacs] Input welcome for discussion on the future of TeXmacs

  • From: Lukasz Stafiniak <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Input welcome for discussion on the future of TeXmacs
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 11:42:44 +0100

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Alvaro Tejero Cantero <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear TeXmacs users,
>
> Here are the questions*:
>
> ! What would you like to happen with TeXmacs?
> * three most important point
> * then summarize in just one

(1) "native" pdf export with links and table of contents
(2) work on drawing mode (e.g. enforced "snap-to-grid", perhaps some
Powerpoint-like functionality as macros -- examples of how to write
new graphical macros)
(3) self-documentation as in Emacs

> ! What are the most important bugs?
> * three bugs
> * one bug

I don't have hard-pressing problems right now. But:

(1) I can't use the Qt version because of key shortcut issues
(2) if I haven't googled, I would be in trouble because I had
TEXMACS_PATH ending with /

> ! What would be best for TeXmacs to become adopted?
> * three points
> * one point

(1) convince journals and conferences to accept TeXmacs documents
(1a) they will probably need help creating compatible TeXmacs styles
(2) change of name, because some people identify texmacs with auctex
(i.e. latex in emacs) and those people have irrational aversion to
emacs... (again, I love emacs)
(3) iron-out the Qt version (it's just for adoption, I'm fine with the
X11 version)

I'm not really sure about (2), I'm not proposing a different name myself.

> ! How to organize TeXmacs as a community
> * three points
> * one point

One idea is for some volunteer to convert more important material from
the mailing list into a FAQ-like archive...

> ! What kind of documentation would you like to see more?
> * three points
> * one point

(1) self-documenting facilities like in emacs
(1a) command to list all available Scheme commands/functions and
TeXmacs macros, search through the list, and display description of
selected command / function / macro
(1b) command to ask for the command / macro bound to a key shortcut or menu
item
(1c) "go to source" in a description of command / function / macro

> ! How should TeXmacs be publicized
> * Name change (or not): three suggestions and one suggestion
> * New website, new general graphical design (logo?).

Keeping the website up to date with TeXmacs features and issues (it's
better recently).

> ! What do you think you could contribute?
> * three points
> * one point

I plan to finally learn some TeXmacs at the Scheme level. I'll be
writing to the list if I have sth that could be of use to others, but
I can't commit time to TeXmacs itself :-(

Best of luck!