Re: [TeXmacs] Input welcome for discussion on the future of TeXmacs

  • From: François Poulain <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Input welcome for discussion on the future of TeXmacs
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 12:25:34 +0000

Hi,

Some points.

Le Thu, 1 Mar 2012 19:30:55 +0000,
Alvaro Tejero Cantero <address@hidden> a écrit :

> ! What would you like to happen with TeXmacs?
> * three most important point
> * then summarize in just one

* Annotation capabilities (a way to discuss about content without
altering it, identifying contributions, and putting on foreground
the parts of the document which are the most discussed).
* Collaborative multi-hand writing. This could also be a way for a
teacher to monitor some CAS activities done by its students.
* CLI user interface, allowing basic capabilities : conversion,
scheme script launching, etc.

> ! What are the most important bugs?
> * three bugs
> * one bug

The LaTeX converter is very buggy. :)

> ! What would be best for TeXmacs to become adopted?
> * three points
> * one point

The name best name to become adopted ?

I think the current name is confusing.

I am not convinced that :
* a new name should obligatorily contains tm ;
* a new name should obligatorily be explicit on what TeXmacs is, and
what TeXmacs is not.

But it should remains easy and quick to pronounce.

Suggestions : tomath (as tomato, in french), scilex (as scientific
editor blah blah ...).

> ! How to organize TeXmacs as a community
> * three points
> * one point

* This can be done via regular events (barcamps, learning sessions, bug
squashing parties, sprints, etc.) ;
* via online organisation (mailling lists, IRC channel, Forum, Shapado,
etc.).

> ! What kind of documentation would you like to see more?
> * three points
> * one point

* On-line question.texmacs.org, with a kind of Shapado software.
* Shorts and simple demos/tutorial videos (1 min max).
* Interactive tutorial.
* An offline book, as Every Thing You Always Wanted to Know About
TeXmacs But Were Afraid to Ask.

> ! How should TeXmacs be publicized
> * Name change (or not): three suggestions and one suggestion
> * New website, new general graphical design (logo?).

* The web site and the graphical logo could be improve but I do not
think it is mandatory.
* I think that the interoperability of TeXmacs should be improved.
* I think TeXmacs should be promoted from scientists and scholars.

> ! What do you think you could contribute?
> * three points
> * one point

Improving converters.

François

--
François Poulain <address@hidden>

Le manque d'intimité entre amis est un défaut que l'on ne peut blâmer
sans le rendre inguérissable.
-+- Friedrich Nietzsche, Humain, trop humain -+-