Re: [TeXmacs] Input welcome for discussion on the future of TeXmacs

  • From: Sam Liddicott <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Input welcome for discussion on the future of TeXmacs
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 09:32:43 +0000

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM, Alvaro Tejero Cantero <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear TeXmacs users,

Tomorrow is the final day of the TeXmacs workshop.

A few important issues will be discussed in a dedicated session. Joris
has put forward a questionnaire to guide the discussion. To sample the
 wishes, interests and ideas of TeXmacs users we would welcome the
opinion of all of you who could not make it to Faro.

Here are the questions*:

! What would you like to happen with TeXmacs?
* three most important point
* then summarize in just one

* more standard file-save format. I propose xml / xhtml; so that documents can be sensibly viewed and rendered in their native form, and processed with existing tools.
The current tml format is loses some information.
A decent xml/xhtml storage mode would allow better integration with web based collaborative editors, mathjax and all that stuff.

* Please mend the bug where stale page references are never removed, and please make document->update->all repeat in a loop until the update does not alter the document

! What are the most important bugs?
* three bugs

Stale page references not being removed.
QT re-rendering and pagination slow on large documents.
ps2write gs target producing enormous and buggy graphics with gs 9.x

* one bug

Stale page references not being removed.

! What would be best for TeXmacs to become adopted?
* three points

* xml or xhtml file format.I cannot promote another opaque obscure file format in my organisation
* ability to pay for bug fixes or features

* one point

* xml or xhtml as native file format.

! How to organize TeXmacs as a community
* three points

discussion and publication of roadmap
proper descriptions of commits
use git instead of svn - please

* one point

use git instead of svn - please

! What kind of documentation would you like to see more?
* three points

no more broken links on the website
the website documentation to actually render properly (needs improve of html export I guess)
examples

* one point

no more broken links on the website

! How should TeXmacs be publicized
* Name change (or not): three suggestions and one suggestion

No name change

* New website, new general graphical design (logo?).

New website not needed.

! What do you think you could contribute?
* three points

fix bugs
add features
texmcs should be written using  literate programming

* one point

convert texmacs source to literate programming

Cheers,

Álvaro Tejero Cantero.

* whoever is interested in looking at the names that have been
proposed already please make yourself a user in http://tiddlyspace.com
and send to me privately the id so that I can authorize you to see the
private pages in http://tamiz.tiddlyspace.com. You can suggest new
names; in that case using the letters 't' and 'm' is of interest to
ease the transition process.