Re: Geneating a PDF that looks good in Abobe Acrobat Reader?

  • From: Adam Warner <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Geneating a PDF that looks good in Abobe Acrobat Reader?
  • Date: 15 Feb 2002 10:46:11 +1300

On Fri, 2002-02-15 at 04:22, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

Thanks for the replies everyone.

> On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, David Allouche wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 14 February 2002 13:18, Dung TaQuang wrote:
> >
> > > you can replace Type3 cmr with the Type 1 Variant
> >
> > Please, can you give us a clue (or a pointer to documentation) on how to
> > do
> > it?
>
> When I wrote the converter three years ago, I just compiled a very
> short LaTeX document and looked at the generated document.
> The TeXmacs->Postscript converter mimicks the way LaTeX does it.
>
> Now that pdf has become more standard, it would be worth it
> to write a direct TeXmacs->pdf converter. I do not have time
> at the moment to do this, but it should be too hard for
> a volunteer to write such a program: you may modify
> the file src/Window/PsDevice/printer.gen.cc in such a way
> that it generates pdf output instead of postscript output
> (the code in printer.gen.cc should be rather self-explanary,
> but you may of course ask me for additional help).
> If you can make this work, I will rename the file as
> src/Window/PsDevice/pdf.gen.cc and make the necessary
> other modifications. At a second stage, we might add
> special support for hyperlinks and other typical pdf stuff.

Thanks for the tips Joris. ConTeXt has exceptional PDF generation
capabilities. Perhaps I should take a look at how Hans Hagen does it.

As to Dung TaQuang's comment "you can replace Type3 cmr with the Type 1
Variant" I echo David's question "Please, can you give us a clue (or a
pointer to documentation) on how to do it?" because choosing a different
font from TeXmacs' Document menu appears to make no difference.

Regards,
Adam