Geneating a PDF that looks good in Abobe Acrobat Reader?

  • From: Adam Warner <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Geneating a PDF that looks good in Abobe Acrobat Reader?
  • Date: 15 Feb 2002 00:43:54 +1300

Hi all,

You may be aware that Adobe Acrobat Reader generates seriously horrible
looking text whenever Type 3 bitmap fonts are used in a PDF. Ghostview
has no problem displaying a nice looking onscreen document. But Adobe's
Acrobat Reader doesn't do anti-aliasing of bitmap fonts and uses a
terrible rendering algorithm.

This happens when exporting a Postscript document and converting it to a
PDF using ps2pdf. Plus it is not possible to use the Find dialogue box.

One way to work around this is to export a TeXmacs document to LaTeX and
then use pdflatex to generate the PDF. This may result in conversion
issues and I imagine it could be difficult when dealing with documents
that contain graphics.

So what are the thoughts about how to support PDF generation in the
future? To overcome the bitmap issue (and to create smaller PDF files as
well) embedded outline fonts would have to be exported instead of
bitmapped ones.

How are postscript files currently created by TeXmacs? Are bitmap or
outline fonts generated? (perhaps ps2pdf is creating the bitmapped
fonts).

PDF export is suprisingly not on the "Suggestions" page at texmacs.org.
However the FAQ states:

"Pdf output can be achieved by converting postscript documents. We would
very much appreciate your help for writing and improving converters for
TeXmacs documents."

But as I've outlined this support is not presently ideal (but I also
understand help is needed to implement a better system! Can't hurt to
understand how that system could be implemented though).

Regards,
Adam