Re: Generating a PDF that looks good in Abobe Acrobat Reader?

  • From: Adam Warner <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Generating a PDF that looks good in Abobe Acrobat Reader?
  • Date: 16 Feb 2002 00:16:50 +1300

On Fri, 2002-02-15 at 23:31, Dung TaQuang wrote:
> Hi,
> the "solution" I mentioned is of TeX nature, looks like what Rajarshi
> and Phil described.
> So I think it could be possible to replace the font name in texmacs
> generated .ps with the type 1 variant. After sonsult the doc about
> ps2pdf, it seems not to be trivial, because ps2pdf tends to bitmapped
> all the fonts with non standard coding. I 'm now under Windows and don't
> have the chance to verify that :-<

http://www.ghostscript.com/doc/AFPL/7.04/Ps2pdf.htm

Under "Limitations":

"ps2pdf will sometimes convert text to high-resolution bitmapped fonts
rather than to embedded outline fonts. This will occur when the
PostScript file uses Type 3, CIDFontType 1, or CIDFontType 4 fonts, or
Type 0 fonts that reference any of these; it may also occur in some
cases if the input file uses fonts with non-standard encodings, or in
some other rare cases."

> The only clean way to do it, as Joris mentioned, is to write an exporter
> for texmacs itself. There are some free for non commercial purpose libs
> like pdflib.
> Sorry if I've disappointed you

No, that's OK. Another way would be somehow rewrite the postscript
output so it only outputs Type 1 fonts and then use ps2pdf instead of
writing a separate PDF encoder.

Regards,
Adam