Re: [TeXmacs] Fundraising

  • From: Yann Dirson <address@hidden>
  • To: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • Cc: Javier Arantegui Jimenez <address@hidden>, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Fundraising
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 22:33:46 +0200

Hi Henri,

> Do you remember some episode, or some of their criticisms
> that could give us more clue about precise features which
> they found difficult to grasp, and therefore should be
> considered as difficult to grasp for newcomers ?

One thing I find terribly annoying myself is the meta/alt modifiers
documented for shortcuts not working out of the box, thus needing
tweeking in texmacs configuration. Not sure a newbie would even
understand what those "mod<N>" refer to, and I am myself puzzled at
why there seem to be 2 sets of settings like A -> mod1 and alt -> A.

Maybe texmacs could query the X server about modifiers ? Not sure how
much information can be gathered from there, though...

Being an occasional texmacs user, I often find myselft wondering about
things I'm sure I had found about the previous time. Eg, as user of a
french keyboard, I often find myself wondering whether I'm supposed to
use "shift" as part of a modified keystroke that involves a number.

I am also occasionally having doubts about the math-font switching:
when switched (eg. to blackboard bold) I usually try a couple of
keystrokes to check the font - and quite unexpectedly the set of chars
is just displayed in roman... Wouldn't it make sense to suppress this
behaviour when a special font has been selected ?

While testing before writing down this mail, I also stumbled on a
strange behaviour, which looks quite confusing, and possibly buggy: if
I start a new doc, switch to "article" style, and start creating a
section (A-S-1 on my french keyboard), it seems to be creating much
more than a simple header, which is not terminated by the 1st newline,
and I cannot seem to be able to create other sections. No problem if
I create a document title first, though.

Best regards,
--
Yann Dirson <address@hidden> |
Debian-related: <address@hidden> | Support Debian GNU/Linux: