Re: [TeXmacs] Fundraising

  • From: Javier Arantegui <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Fundraising
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 10:21:27 +0200

Hello,

First of all I want to beg your pardon. When I sent my message I didn't want
to open TeXmacs GUI Pandora's box. I just wanted to present what I thought
was a reasonable tool to manage a fund raising.

El Jueves, 27 de Abril de 2006 13:47, Henri Lesourd escribió:
> In this respect, the problem is that I'm not so sure
> that simple solutions (e.g., using a standard widget
> set like Qt, GTK, etc.) would really solve the problem.

After reading all the messages in this thread, I'm beginning to thing that
using an standard toolkit will solve many GUI problems, although I'm not an
expert and I could be completely wrong.

> To summarize, the fact that the interface **looks** old
> fashioned is not the real problem IMHO. The real problem
> is that it **IS** really hard to use for non-technically
> inclined people

And ex-Windows new Linux users. One of the guys I was speaking in my previous
message is a recent switcher and he hate TeXmacs interface. Probably the main
reason was that many things in TeXmacs are not standard.

In these cases I used the Maxima factor to introduce new users to TeXmacs.
That was a great incentive to learn TeXmacs (it was for me, at least). But,
it doesn't work anymore because new users prefer wxMaxima.

I think that TeXmacs has the same problem that had Apple with Mac OS 8 and 9.
They could have tried to "modernise" the OS but the number of problems were
so big that they had to bite the bullet and start almost from zero to build
Mac OS X.

Maybe we need a full time programer to solve all (or, at least, as many as
possible) these problems. I wonder how much that would cost and if we were
able to get all that money in a reasonable period of time.

Javier

--
Javier Arántegui
Dept. Tecnologia de Alimentos / Dept. of Food Technology

Tel. +34 973702595
Fax +34 973702596
IM: Jabber - javier.arantegui (AT) jabberes.org
http://www.tecal.udl.es