[TeXmacs] UI problems [was: Fundraising]

  • From: Lionel Elie Mamane <address@hidden>
  • To: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • Cc: Javier Arantegui <address@hidden>, address@hidden
  • Subject: [TeXmacs] UI problems [was: Fundraising]
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 08:23:46 +0200

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 01:47:01PM +0200, Henri Lesourd wrote:

> As far as the users I know react, the main problems (stated using
> an approximate order of importance) are :

> -> The emacs "chords" (i.e. keyboard shortcuts),
> which become more and more unknown & unintuitive
> for new users,

On the other hand, they are not emacs-like _enough_ for emacsies like
me.

The main usability problems I have are:

- When I press a key, the action is sometimes taken twice instead of
once.

- The "search doesn't find all occurrences" bug. I use grep / less /
emacs to search in a tm document.

- In my opinion, the biggest failure of TeXmacs (in my use) is that I
resort to using ... emacs ... to edit the .tm file to do some
operations that I can't figure out how to do in TeXmacs itself. A
prime example - that not only I, but also my not so hacker
colleagues (and I mean it: I wouldn't be sure they'd be able to
write a for loop in /bin/sh) encountered - is to take a subtree of
the document and place a node as the father of this subtree.

For example, I have the text "a [+] b" in the document. I want to
replace this with (in LaTeX notation) "$a [+] b$". Yes, I _just_
want to put this in math mode. Couldn't find a way didn't involve
retyping the string "a [+] b".

--
Lionel