Re: [TeXmacs] Fundraising

  • From: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • To: Javier Arantegui <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Fundraising
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 16:36:13 +0200

In my previous mail, I said :
<<
To summarize, my feeling is that the problem of TeXmacs's
user interface is much more a problem of lots of little
details that should be carefully handcrafted (such details
being currently very insufficiently polished), than a problem
of one or two big things that you could just do and hop !,
the problem is solved.

To be complete, I should have added, too, that it is my
feeling that the amount of such annoying details is probably
fairly **limited**, as far as the usual user is concerned.

I add this, because it is also my experience that most
of the times, as soon as you give some hint to the users
in order to enable them to surmount the most "blocking"
things, then these users become autonomous fairly quickly.

Thus one (perhaps its not the only one) important task
is to focus on **identifying** the most annoying things
first : then the problem of implementing the changes
becomes more easy (otherwise, while you don't know
what to do, in any case, it is simply **impossible**
to do anything : remembering this is always useful).

This being said, finding funding is good : but it
is a waste of time (and money) if you cannot tell
the people what they must do. Conversely, as soon
as you know what to do, funding becomes much less
a problem.

In short : funding cannot be a replacement for a clear,
detailed, and coherent specification of the improvements
you want to be done.

Best, Henri