Re: [TeXmacs] UI problems

  • From: Michael Lachmann <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] UI problems
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:42:25 +0200

René van Bevern wrote:
Lionel Elie Mamane <address@hidden> writes:

For example, I have the text "a [+] b" in the document. I want to
replace this with (in LaTeX notation) "$a [+] b$". Yes, I _just_
want to put this in math mode. Couldn't find a way didn't involve
retyping the string "a [+] b".

Just mark the text "a [+] b" and press $ afterwards. If text is
selected while introducing a new environment, the environment is
applied to the selected text. It's that easy and IMO one of the well
though out features of TeXmacs' UI.

That is really nice! But it seems that it isn't intuitive for a user to understand that that can be done. I think it is because the math mode, or environment is not seen as a mode of text, but instead as something to insert. The icon for it sits right near inert session and picture, which will not convert the selected text into anything, (though insert link will). Maybe if there was an icon for math environment (just $$, not equation) near the emph, capitalize, subscript, etc. text modes, then it would be easier to see (?).