Re: [TeXmacs] Fix to libc problem?

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Fix to libc problem?
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 12:53:34 +0200

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 11:20:07AM +0200, Henri Lesourd wrote:
> >> [vdhoeven@alcazar src]$ grep libc.so TeXmacs/bin/texmacs.bin
> >> [vdhoeven@alcazar src]$
> >>
> >>Do you get the same result after a grep (on the texmacs.bin of
> >>the most recent binary distribution)?
> >
> >of course, I get the same result after the grep:
> >
> >cannot handle file 'libc.so.6' with TLS data

My question was rather where this error message comes from,
since the text 'libc.so.6' is *not* in the TeXmacs binary
(please confirm by doing grep libc.so [appropriate path]/texmacs.bin).
I don't understand which program generates this message and what it means.
Can someone help?

> Although I know this is not very fun, as for me,
> what I do when I met such problems is just install
> another Linux distro, because such problems usually
> stem from an unstable/too much bloated distro.
[...]
> I recently had a colleague switched from Fedora
> to VectorLinux (on a laptop), everything went
> perfectly (1 / 2 hours), while they spent the
> whole afternoon without being able to solve
> fixing links for shared libraries the day
> before.

The point here is that the error message occurs with *static* binaries,
so there should not be any dependencies on any of the distributions libraries.
So I don't think that the linux distribution is the main responsable.

I need to know who generates the error message

cannot handle file 'libc.so.6' with TLS data

Best wishes, Joris