Re: Typing Japanese in TeXmacs

  • From: Darcy Shen <address@hidden>
  • To: "Luis Felipe" <address@hidden>, "texmacs-users" <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: Typing Japanese in TeXmacs
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 16:42:06 +0800

I'm the TeXmacs developer who recently worked on the CJK font related code.

Take Japanese for example:

> Why the Japanese menu entry in Document -> Language is gray?

Because the default font for your current os is not available.

> How can I know about the default font for Japanese?

Insert a Scheme session and eval:

(default-japanese-font)

For me (I'm using Debian sid), the result is IPAMincho.

> What's the default font for Japanese on differenct os system?

For GNU TeXmacs 2.1.2, the default font

+ macOS: Hiragino Kaku Gothic ProN
+ Windows: MS PMincho

There are too many different os systems for GNU/Linux. We provided a list of candidates in font.cpp above. But it might not hit.

Installing the font IPAMincho should be a good idea on GNU/Linux. And I have to admit that I know little about Japanese.

---- On Sat, 11 Jun 2022 08:03:49 +0800 Luis Felipe <address@hidden> wrote ----

Hi,

I'm using TeXmacs 2.1.1 on Guix System. I have my system configured to use ibus-anthy so that I can type Japanese in pretty much every application. For example, I can type Japanese in GTK applications like those found in the GNOME desktop and also in Qt applications like Krita. However, I haven't been able to type Japanese in TeXmacs (which I think is Qt, right?). All I see is red codes in angular brackets, which are also exported in that form to PDF.

I also see that Asian languages are deactivated in the "Document → Language" menu. Although I'm not currently looking for setting the main language of my documents to any of those, it seem odd.

How can I have TeXmacs all set up to write multilingual documents?

I think am only missing this part to add TeXmacs to my tool set...

Thanks in advance,

P.S. TeXmacs is a very nice program, thanks for working on it.

---
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/