Re: Typing Japanese in TeXmacs

  • From: Luis Felipe <address@hidden>
  • To: Darcy Shen <address@hidden>
  • Cc: texmacs-users <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: Typing Japanese in TeXmacs
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 17:11:45 +0000
  • Feedback-id: 24022468:user:proton

Hello Darcy,

On Sunday, June 12th, 2022 at 08:42, Darcy Shen <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm the TeXmacs developer who recently worked on the CJK font related code.

Ah, thanks for looking into this.

> Take Japanese for example:
>

> > Why the Japanese menu entry in Document -> Language is gray?
>

> Because the default font for your current os is not available.
>

> > How can I know about the default font for Japanese?
>

> Insert a Scheme session and eval:
>

> (default-japanese-font)

I get simply "roman", like this:

https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/media/2022/06/texmacs-2-1-1-on-guix-and-japanese-writing-2022-06-12.png

And that's after having placed Google Noto Sans Japanese in
~/TeXmacs/fonts/truetype (which allows me to type the 日本語 text in the
screenshot).

> For me (I'm using Debian sid), the result is IPAMincho.
>
> > What's the default font for Japanese on differenct os system?
>

> https://github.com/texmacs/texmacs/blob/5d024ee8ec10160e5af3960db90b4d05e1256bc9/src/Graphics/Fonts/font.cpp#L597-L618

I see. Yeah, none of them seem to be packaged for my system, neither have I
downloaded any them to my user-specific folder for fonts, hence the "roman"
value in the screenshot.

I will try to find IPA Mincho on the web and place it in
~/TeXmacs/fonts/truetype, and see if it works then.

Wouldn't it be possible to add a feature to TeXmacs that allows the user to
select a system-available font for Japanese, though?

> For GNU TeXmacs 2.1.2, the default font
>

> + macOS: Hiragino Kaku Gothic ProN
> + Windows: MS PMincho
>

> There are too many different os systems for GNU/Linux. We provided a list
> of candidates in font.cpp above. But it might not hit.
>

> Installing the font IPAMincho should be a good idea on GNU/Linux. And I
> have to admit that I know little about Japanese.

I have installed "font-google-noto" in my system, more than 1 GB of font
families which are supposed to provide letters and symbols for every writing
system in the world. So far I've had been able to read and write pretty much
any language with Noto and my selected ibus input methods. So I thought
TeXmacs wouldn't be an exception, and that I would be able to just type any
language as in LibreOffice Writer...

I'll see how it goes installing any of the fonts expected in "font.cpp". If
it works, I will package the fonts for my system and update TeXmacs package
to include it.

Thanks for your help, Darcy :)