Re: Typing Japanese in TeXmacs

  • From: Luis Felipe <address@hidden>
  • To: Luis Felipe <address@hidden>
  • Cc: Darcy Shen <address@hidden>, texmacs-users <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: Typing Japanese in TeXmacs
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 20:15:55 +0000
  • Feedback-id: 24022468:user:proton

On Sunday, June 12th, 2022 at 18:04, Luis Felipe <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ok, I found a way to type Japanese normally. So, to complete the steps:
>

> 1. Download some Japanese font family (I tried with SourceHanSansJP-VF.ttf
> and Google Noto Sans Japanese)
> 2. Put the font in ~/.TeXmacs/fonts/truetype
> 3. Run "texmacs --delete-font-cache"
>

> [...]
>

> All these steps are too much, though, so I'll check if I can get rid of all
> of them by just installing any of the fonts expected by TeXmacs, which
> Darcy pointed out in a previous message
> (https://github.com/texmacs/texmacs/blob/5d024ee8ec10160e5af3960db90b4d05e1256bc9/src/Graphics/Fonts/font.cpp#L597-L618).

I could finally grab IPA Mincho fonts from a Debian machine (hard to get from
the Web), and removed the .TeXmacs folder to start anew. Then, after
following the three steps above (instead of ~9, for other JP fonts), I could
type Japanese normally and immediatelly in the document.

I wonder if the manual section "Notes for users of oriental languages" could
be updated with instructions to use other Japanese fonts, not only the fonts
TeXmacs expects to find. That section currently reads as follows:

«You also have to install Japanese fonts. For instance, you may download the
Ipag fonts ipam.ttf, ipag.ttf, ipamp.ttf, ipagm.ttf and ipagui.ttf and copy
them to
~/.TeXmacs/fonts/truetype»

When I read "For instance", I understand that the listed fonts are not a
requirement, just an example. But that doesn't seem to be the case after all.
Only with IPA Mincho Japanese works right away and, only with those fonts too
(and the other ones in font.cpp, I guess), the "Document → Language →
Japanese" option is enabled.

Thanks again everyone for your help,