Re: [TeXmacs] Two problems of TeXmacs (IMHO)

  • From: Javier Arántegui Jiménez <address@hidden>
  • To: David Allouche <address@hidden>, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Two problems of TeXmacs (IMHO)
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:18:07 +0100

Hello,

El Miércoles, 17 de Diciembre de 2003 15:11, David Allouche escribió:

> That would undermine the very goal of TeXmacs as a structured
> typesetting editor (compare to TeXmacs as a CAS interface system).
> The "official" TeXmacs position is that, for what TeXmacs does, LaTeX is
> obsolete and irrelevant except for interoperability, and for what
> TeXmacs not yet does, LaTeX is obsolete and bound to irrelevance. Call
> that arrogant, megalomaniac, irrealistic if you want, but that is the
> basic idea.

My knowledge of English is quite limited. So, I have several problems when I
try to express something more complex than 'I am hungry'.

I agree with you completly. What I tried to say was that with the existing
documentation, suport tools (like this list) and GUI, the best way to
*master* TeXmacs is:

0. Download TeXmacs and use it as structured scientific word processor (MS
Word with steroids ;-) or as CAS interface. <-- Here I was 3 days ago
1. Learn a little bit of LaTex
2. Use that knowledge to understand TeXmacs. There are several things that
are
not obvious in step 0. but are easy if you know a little of Latex. <-- Here I
am
3. Forget Latex. Once you understand TeXmacs, there are no reasons to use
Latex.
4. Use TeXmacs and "live happily ever after".

I am not complaining about the lack of documentation. I am just suggesting a
way to learn TeXmacs. There are two ways to solve the problem of the lack of
documentation for new users:

1. Write new documentation: I must confess, I am simply too lazy to write it.
2. Learn Latex and be ready to understand the existing documentation.

Javier