Re: [TeXmacs] Two problems of TeXmacs (IMHO)

  • From: "Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas" <address@hidden>
  • To: Andreas Seidl <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Two problems of TeXmacs (IMHO)
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:20:02 +0000

Hi all,

El mié, 17-12-2003 a las 15:35, Andreas Seidl escribió:

> What about a TeXmacs webring of users, who display testimonials like "my
> life has changed to the better since I learned about TeXmacs, you should
> try it", show what they have done with TeXmacs and talk about the problems
> they encountered? Group meetings of anonymous TeXmacsians?

That woulb be pretty nice. I think that almost always you go to #texmacs
and is almost empty or nobody is talking, would be nice an aproach more
like the "hi all folks, lets talk a while". May be we dont need to be
expert TeXmacs developers, but simple users to meet for chating and talk
about TeXmacs.

TeXmacs has changed my life ;-) I think that is important to show what
documents you create with TeXmacs. May be learning by example is a nice
thing. What about a TeXmacs powered repository of docs in many languages
like the one (in AMS-LaTeX) of the AMS?

> A bit more bazaar, a bit less cathedral, anybody?

My bazaar contribution is on translation of documentation and the
creation of new material in spanish using TeXmacs. After having a
savannah ID (when savannah gets online) I plan to put that translated
documentation in the CVS. Nice to put the TeXmacs Powered documentation
in the Web also.

> Anyway, as I had already similar problems with explaining, I recently
> started to write a webpage with title "TeXmacs in 60 minutes", where I
> explain some features and issues (mostly windows) you encounter, and give
> a hands-on tutorial, where I walk the reader through creating a small
> paper.

My TeXmacs talks have been sucessfull in a live Demo of TeXmacs. The
people open his eyes pretty surprised, like this: :-|, :-o, and so on.
I think that for explanation/presentation purposes, when a more
experienced user is not present, would be nice to have a "tutorial mode"
of TeXmacs, but that implies to talk with menus, and may be some screen
events. How difficult is that? Where can I start for zero?

Offray