Re: [TeXmacs] Two problems of TeXmacs (IMHO)

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <address@hidden>
  • Cc: Andreas Seidl <address@hidden>, <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Two problems of TeXmacs (IMHO)
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:10:36 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:
> > What about a TeXmacs webring of users, who display testimonials like "my
> > life has changed to the better since I learned about TeXmacs, you should
> > try it", show what they have done with TeXmacs and talk about the problems
> > they encountered? Group meetings of anonymous TeXmacsians?
>
> That woulb be pretty nice. I think that almost always you go to #texmacs
> and is almost empty or nobody is talking, would be nice an aproach more
> like the "hi all folks, lets talk a while". May be we dont need to be
> expert TeXmacs developers, but simple users to meet for chating and talk
> about TeXmacs.

Maybe such a thing could be done on the Wiki? Another user suggested me
to create a TeXmacs forum, which could typically be done on the Wiki too.
The advantage with respect to #texmacs is that you do not necessarily
need to be connected at the same time. On the other hand, discussions on
the forum remain public which you might not want. A forum could also be
used to make an appointment on #texmacs.

As a general rule, I think that we should not too quickly suppress the Wiki,
but rather assign new tasks to it which are complementary to what exists
at other places (documentation, faq, etc.). Probably we should make
a big informal forum out of it, divided into a few categories.

> I think that for explanation/presentation purposes, when a more
> experienced user is not present, would be nice to have a "tutorial mode"
> of TeXmacs, but that implies to talk with menus, and may be some screen
> events. How difficult is that? Where can I start for zero?

This cannot be a priority right now.