Re: [TeXmacs] New mode for graphics

  • From: Magnus Rohde <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] New mode for graphics
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:02:05 +0200

Congratulations on the new graphical mode, that we've been hearing about for so long.

However there are a few thoughts that I've done on the direction of the project that I would like to share with you, even though you might not agree.
I think that the focus of the TeXmacs-project should be on improving the essential functionality of TeXmacs instead of adding new (major) functions, like the graphical mode. It is impossible to compete with purposebuilt applications such as Xfig or (the non-free) Illustrator on "their turf". Such new functions only have some justification if they can in some way enhance the existing program e.g. via resizing/place graphics with the mouse.
I fully understand that TeXmacs is dependent on volunteers, and that it is often more exciting to work on "new fancy things", but if TeXmacs should ever be a mature, widely used program, someone has to do the boring stuff too.

Magnus