Re: [TeXmacs] New mode for graphics

  • From: Magnus Rohde <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] New mode for graphics
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:11:24 +0200

Den 28/9-2005, kl. 18:38, Henri Lesourd wrote:

In general, I think that the really important thing is to succeed in finding your own way, not to compare yourself with others ; but as far as Xfig is concerned, of course I --must-- disagree with you : it is in fact quite realistic to say that **today**, we are already successfully competing on their very turf ! ;-)

If by "successfully competing" you mean failing miserably, then I agree with you ;-). The graphics mode, as it is now, does not even come close to any drawing program I have used since 1993.
When I mentioned Xfig and Illustrator it was just as examples for a type of program usually referred to as drawing programs and not a reference to these specific programs. And I really don't think that the graphics mode in TeXmacs will ever become a serious choice when it comes to drawing anything more than a few lines or very simple sketches (a bit like the drawing thingy in M$ Word).
I would be glad if you could prove me wrong, of course. :-)

For example, in a not too far future, it could lead us to new features for resizing non-graphical objects (like tables, for example), directly with the mouse.

I would really like to see this.