Re: [TeXmacs] Re: TeXmacs UI issues

  • From: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • To: David MENTRE <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Re: TeXmacs UI issues
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 00:06:27 +0200

David MENTRE wrote:

Hello Henri,

Henri Lesourd <address@hidden> writes:

Argh ;-) !!! This improvement is hard, and even impossible to
do --stricto sensu--, because TeXmacs does (and will always do)
much more calculations than emacs...

I don't buy this argument. Appropriate algorithms should allow fast
redrawing of the viewed area.

Right : what I meant by "impossible to do --stricto sensu--" is
that it will be forever impossible to have a TeXmacs that uses
a drawing process as lightweight as the one which is used in
emacs for displaying the text : this is just not the same category
of displaying algorithms.

3D algorithms allow fast and good rendering of scenes with million of
objects, for example with adaptive resolution. Why is TeXmacs not able
to do the same?

That's true, it should definitely be possible. But this is not
a small enterprise, you would have to survey lots of code, for
this.

This is really the kind of area where *some* improvements can
be expected, and where an increase in the speed of machines
should do the rest !

But even when displaying a menu texmacs is slow!

I'm not sure if it is the display itself, or either being able
to see that the mouse is above the menu (i.e. : being able to
poll the X events sufficiently fast). It is probably not too
hard to improve this particular problem (all the more it is
independent of the rest).