Re: Why not have "adaptive" TeXmacs manual for LaTeX users?

  • From: Darcy Shen <address@hidden>
  • To: "texmacs-users" <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: Why not have "adaptive" TeXmacs manual for LaTeX users?
  • Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2020 01:41:14 +0800
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.zoho.com.cn; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=address@hidden; dmarc=pass header.from=<address@hidden> header.from=<address@hidden>
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=zoho.com.cn; s=zohoarc; t=1607190075; h=Content-Type:Date:From:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Message-ID:References:Subject:To; bh=4DUElOWNdAXVg/jvCb/nqSGnhqsKfApcOZNBJSKoCl8=; b=aTmtgHI81V+ubXZBR5ABbyYW60GvPjWdN7QdRDXK/ceXQaL+lehaDNg4K4aQ+j1myuFywGEgVboT2pUJBxrR7hT6XUODkKrgwNM5bkr+hami4vjbcoF0lCSQMAGaeUcRhqzzFp6nKERKIqCp9cSyCr96eWDsqStmtZfXJOhU/GQ=
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1607190075; cv=none; d=zoho.com.cn; s=zohoarc; b=GA73U8gTnFIelI4slB4vCrfKxfk5Mxa6tuswGmGH5a+OrJSzkePz8hS72MfXID66HiFo6L4LJZzFSEcbSv8kz/I7W1bKJoLUXiACCJQERk6yxPxVYo0g3Snpc+gSXCo8B2Rl7Xcv40iTAAvTxJA1Uvpn8bDy4DVw//x4I4Z0FhM=

I know little about LaTeX. I wrote my bachelor's thesis in LaTeX with a well maintained LaTeX template: https://github.com/ustctug/ustcthesis . Most people (including me) do not learn LaTeX until they needed to write their bachelor's thesis.

Personally, LaTeX only defines the symbols I use in TeXmacs. If I do not know how to input a math symbol in TeXmacs, usually, searching for the corresponding symbol in LaTeX and type \symbol_name in TeXmacs will work for me. Sometimes, I found the symbols in TeXmacs and LaTeX do not match. That is the only pitfall for me. I don't know why TeXmacs choosed another symbol name. It would be better if there are documents about why TeXmacs choosed to use A rather than B (for example, symbol name B used in LaTeX is not semantically correct).

Besides the LaTeX symbols, I am a TeXmacs user without any LaTeX knowledge.

---- On Tue, 2020-12-01 05:05:20 TeXmacs <address@hidden> wrote ----

Hi Amir,

This is based on the idea that people wish to use TeXmacs as a LaTeX-emulator.
I am not sure whether this is the most exciting way to use our software.
Maybe people should stop thinking about LaTeX and be open for a different approach.
Also from a learning point of view.

Best wishes, --Joris