Re: [TeXmacs] Windows Version

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: Dan Martens <address@hidden>
  • Cc: David MENTRE <address@hidden>, <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Windows Version
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 15:25:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Dan Martens wrote:
> > 1. [off-toppic] is there a free software to extract RAR archives on
> > Windows. I've only found WinRAR which is a shareware.
>
> Good question, I don't know. I just keep using WinRAR, all it does is nag
> you about registering. I like it because it works with so many archive
> formats. If people would prefer zip or even gzip/tar, it doesn't matter to
> me.

We should priviledge a free program with a maximal compression rate for
people with a slow internet connection. How does RAR compare to bzip2?

> > 3. Scrolling mouse does not work.
>
> I will look into how we can go about doing this, if the Linux side support
> is already in TeXmacs, this will be fairly easy, if not, then I'll have to
> get a little more creative.

The Linux version does come with wheel-mouse support. X sees wheel-mouse
scroll events as pressing the 4-th and 5-th buttons of the mouse.

> > 4. Sometimes, after chosing a menu option, the menu does not
> > disappear. For example after chosing File -> New. One needs to click
> > elsewhere.
>
> I am aware of this, it appears to only happen when the "new" option is
> selected. This may be a guile script problem.

I doubt that; I rather think that it is quite hard to fully mimick
what X does, just because X is so weired and I personally had a very
hard time at getting the menus to work "correctly".

> > 5. Looking for "scheme" word in the documentation search facility made
> > the TeXmacs crash.
>
> Hmm....I'll look into this one as well, thanks.

I already noticed that problem too. The point is that "grep"
is not present on Windows. Don't bother about this one too much though;
the help system is quite slow anyway and we will eventually have to
program something better. If you find a Windows equivalent for "grep",
then this will temporarily do the job.