Re: TeXmacs on live linux CDs

  • From: David Allouche <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: TeXmacs on live linux CDs
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 00:11:41 +0100

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 02:21:04PM +0100, Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando wrote:
> David Allouche wrote:
> >I like that idea very much, especially seeing that the CD includes
> >Cygwin, UnxUtils (including wget), LaTeX (including METAFONT and
> >BibTeX), Ghostscript and GSView, so we have all the basic dependences
> >of TeXmacs.
> >
> >Since TeXmacs mostly uses one window (add the standard get/put file
> >window and the wait window) I guess it might be possibe to make a
> >quick port using XFree86 over Cygwin for the main window and native
> >calls for the minor windows (maybe using wxwindows, since the
> >requirements are pretty low). Does anyone has experience in this kind
> >of trick?
>
> It is amazing to hear all this.
>
> Are you really serious ?
>
> Do you want to port TeX (I use TeX on DOS/Win), GCC, X Windows and the rest
> all this to offers an enviroment to port later TeXmacs for Windows?
>
> Wouch!
>
> Good Luck!

You are putting me in a very uncomfortable situation.

On one hand, your signature suggest your are representing here a
distributor who may include TeXmacs in its standard packages, so I am
expected to stay courteous and polite with you.

One the other hand, you are making a complete idiot (to stay courteous
and polite) of yourself, and seem to presume we are stupid. So I would
rather assume you are just overworked and unappropriately let go of
some steam here.

So, please look at the projet we were talking of. All of this is
already ported and packaged. I just mean to assemble existing parts.

> I strongly advice that you use your time in a more productive mode.
>
> Download a Linux version. Install it.
>
> It is also possible that you found a Linux CD together/inside a magazine.

I strongly suggest that you stop insulting people here, and give a
little more respect to people who spend thousand of hours to improve
software that you can use freely, even if they do not have a doctor
degree.

We will be happy to talk with you if you make constructive and
meaningful contributions to our discussions. But that kind of 12 years
kid behaviour is not welcome in this list where, up to now, all
contributors showed intelligence and education.

--
David Allouche | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure
Free software engineer | http://www.texmacs.org