Re: TeXmacs on live linux CDs

  • From: Yannick Patois <address@hidden>
  • To: <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: TeXmacs on live linux CDs
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 15:36:59 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Stéphane Payrard wrote:

> > What's interest me here is to be able to tell ppl who use windows "I send
> > you this file" (a small convenient .tm format), "if you dont have texmacs,
> > there you can just download the viewer".
> Distributing a viewer is a marketting choice for closed projects not a
> technical one. It makes no sense for TeXmacs; more so because you can
> generate documents for which viewers already exist.

Just wondering: if it's easier to port and smaller to download, it may
make sense.
OK for the remark about existing viewer, but a factor 10 in BP is
something I consider (PDF vs .tm).

> The internal format is a tree, not an attributed tree like
> XML. Dealing internally with an attributed tree would mean adding an
> associative table for each node. A big potential performance hit. A
> focus on performance is (currently) a more critical issue than
> internals matching the XML DOM.

Hummm, OK? so you say that there is no possible matching between the
currennt representation and some XML one ? Even a stripped one ?

> Also XML means Unicode support which TeXmacs currently does not
> support.

XML means nothing on the charset support for us. If TeXmacs doesnt support
it them we wont read of write Unicode chars, that's it.

On the other hand, once using XML, maybe it will be easier to plug in
existing library to do this.

> It is an interactive typesetting tool. It does does one thing very
> well instead of pretending to solve many problems. Even if my own
> interest is broader, I feel that this positionning makes a lot of
> sense.

Make sense too. And after all, if I really belive it's a good idea... I
just have to code it and let ppl try it ;)

Most likely I wont...

Yannick

--
_/ Yannick Patois _________________ Address (home) __________________
| irc(undernet): Garp on #france25+ | 17, rue du Tonkin |