Re: [TeXmacs] Automatically copying selected text

  • From: Magnus Rohde <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Automatically copying selected text
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 12:04:25 +0100

Den 17/1-2006, kl. 11:14, skrev Javier Arantegui:

Hello,

El Martes, 17 de Enero de 2006 11:04, Magnus Rohde escribió:
In the newest version (1.0.6), I noticed that when text is selected by
dragging the mouse it is automatically copied. Is this the way it is
supposed to be?

Well, it's the common behaviour in Unix/Linux. After that you can paste the
text using the middle button of the mouse.

I was kinda expecting this answer, but just because it is common on Unix does not mean that it is the way it should be.
Actually, with the current behaviour the possibility for data-loss is quite big, I think. Consider this situation: say I want to move a section of my thesis/paper/letter to mom, so I select the area with the mouse (as many people would do, esp. with large sections of text) and select "cut". I then move the insertion point again with the mouse, but instead of a single click I accidentally dragged the mouse and selected a single letter, and since it copied automatically I have now lost the text I was trying to move.
I think that this example is typical of how many people use computers to edit text (maybe Unix users excluded).

I find it really annoying, as it is contrary to the
normal behaviour on Windows/Macintosh and it gets done without any
notice to the user, or is mentioned in the manual.

In the beginning it's quite strange, but when you are used to it is great. I
cannot count how many times I try to paste some text clicking the middle
button of the mouse in Windows/Mac... and nothing happens. I simply forget
press Cmd+C and the Cmd+V.

Since I am using TeXmacs on a Mac, I don't think I will "get used to it" as it is the only program on my computer with this behaviour. All other programs use Cmd-x/Cmd-c/Cmd-v, including text fields in open/save dialogs, url-lines in browsers etc.

regards
Magnus