Re: [TeXmacs] Automatically copying selected text

  • From: Javier Arantegui <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Automatically copying selected text
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 12:20:58 +0100

Hello,

El Martes, 17 de Enero de 2006 12:04, Magnus Rohde escribió:
> Actually, with the current behaviour the possibility for data-loss is
> quite big, I think.

I agree with you in this point. I solved (partly) it in my Linux box using
Klipper (1), part of KDE. I want to try iClip lite (2) in my Mac. Both are
multiple clipboard and they can be quite useful.

(1) http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase/klipper/index.html
(2) http://inventive.us/iCliplite/

But, are you sure that the responsible of that behaviour is TeXmacs? Maybe it
is X11. Look this question of
http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1232.html:

" Q: How do I copy and paste using X11 for Mac OS X?
A: X11 for Mac OS X allows cut and paste between X11 and native applications
using PRIMARY and PASTEBOARD selections.
You can cut text from X11 applications by selecting the text, performing a
cmd-c or copy operation. You can paste in native Mac OS X applications as
usual using Cmd-V.
Because there is no standard for pasting in X11 applications (some use
middle
mouse button, some use control-v, etc.), cmd-v doesn't work for pasting in
X11 applications by design. As a result, the "Paste" menu item will be grayed
out when X11 applications are in focus. You should use the control-v or the
middle mouse button instead for pasting (See X11 Preferences for emulating a
middle mouse button).
The "Paste" menu option will be active when non-X windows are active within
X11.app (e.g., when entering text in the "Customize Applications" menu item).
A common request has been to make cmd-v work across all X11 applications.
This isn't possible without re-writing all X11 applications to standardize on
a single approach, which is outside the domain of X11 for Mac OS X."

The ugly truth is that copy'n'paste is a mess in unix.

> Since I am using TeXmacs on a Mac, I don't think I will "get used to
> it" as it is the only program on my computer with this behaviour. All
> other programs use Cmd-x/Cmd-c/Cmd-v, including text fields in
> open/save dialogs, url-lines in browsers etc.

One question, how do you type \ in TeXmacs on the Mac? I cannot :-(

Javier

--
Javier Arántegui
Dept. Tecnologia de Alimentos / Dept. of Food Technology

Tel. +34 973702595
Fax +34 973702596
IM: Jabber - javier.arantegui (AT) jabberes.org
http://www.tecal.udl.es