Re: [TeXmacs] Automatically copying selected text

  • From: "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden>
  • To: Magnus Rohde <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Automatically copying selected text
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:59:33 +0600 (NOVT)

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Magnus Rohde wrote:
Den 17/1-2006, kl. 11:14, skrev Javier Arantegui:
El Martes, 17 de Enero de 2006 11:04, Magnus Rohde escribi?:
In the newest version (1.0.6), I noticed that when text is selected by
dragging the mouse it is automatically copied. Is this the way it is
supposed to be?

Well, it's the common behaviour in Unix/Linux. After that you can paste the
text using the middle button of the mouse.

I was kinda expecting this answer, but just because it is common on Unix does not mean that it is the way it should be.
I'll be very much against changing this behaviour. In X (meaning Unix in most case, but there are X servers for other OS's) I got used to the very convenient and practically universal behaviour: I select something with my mouse, and insert this selection with the middle button click. When I (rarely) have to do something in Windows, I subconsiously expect the same. When the middle button click does not produce the expected effect, I try to recall these weird Windows key combinations: was I supposed to press ctrl-ins, or something? This slows me 10 times at least.

TeXmacs must be a regular, well-behaving X application, cooperating with other X applications in the normal way expected in X.

Andrey