Cutting text

  • From: Luca <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Cutting text
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 12:56:00 +0100

Javier Arantegui wrote:

Hello,

El Martes, 17 de Enero de 2006 12:04, Magnus Rohde escribió:

Actually, with the current behaviour the possibility for data-loss is
quite big, I think.

I agree with you in this point. I solved (partly) it in my Linux box using Klipper (1), part of KDE. I want to try iClip lite (2) in my Mac. Both are multiple clipboard and they can be quite useful.

(1) http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase/klipper/index.html
(2) http://inventive.us/iCliplite/

But, are you sure that the responsible of that behaviour is TeXmacs? Maybe it is X11. Look this question of http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1232.html:

" Q: How do I copy and paste using X11 for Mac OS X? A: X11 for Mac OS X allows cut and paste between X11 and native applications using PRIMARY and PASTEBOARD selections. You can cut text from X11 applications by selecting the text, performing a cmd-c or copy operation. You can paste in native Mac OS X applications as usual using Cmd-V.
Because there is no standard for pasting in X11 applications (some use middle mouse button, some use control-v, etc.), cmd-v doesn't work for pasting in X11 applications by design. As a result, the "Paste" menu item will be grayed out when X11 applications are in focus. You should use the control-v or the middle mouse button instead for pasting (See X11 Preferences for emulating a middle mouse button). The "Paste" menu option will be active when non-X windows are active within X11.app (e.g., when entering text in the "Customize Applications" menu item).
A common request has been to make cmd-v work across all X11 applications. This isn't possible without re-writing all X11 applications to standardize on a single approach, which is outside the domain of X11 for Mac OS X."

The ugly truth is that copy'n'paste is a mess in unix.

Since I am using TeXmacs on a Mac, I don't think I will "get used to
it" as it is the only program on my computer with this behaviour. All
other programs use Cmd-x/Cmd-c/Cmd-v, including text fields in
open/save dialogs, url-lines in browsers etc.

One question, how do you type \ in TeXmacs on the Mac? I cannot :-(

Javier

By the way , If I use C-w as the help balloons on the cut icon still suggest on my TexMacs I close the buffer...
What am I missing?
Luca