Re: [TeXmacs] Automatically copying selected text

  • From: "David G. Wonnacott" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Automatically copying selected text
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 07:36:12 -0500 (EST)
  • Hc-host: Message scanned by SMTP2, Networking & Systems, Haverford College, Haverford, PA 19041 [v011]
  • Hc-mailscanner: Found to be clean

From: Magnus Rohde <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:08:03 +0100

Den 17/1-2006, kl. 12:59, skrev Andrey G. Grozin:
> TeXmacs must be a regular, well-behaving X application, cooperating
> with other X applications in the normal way expected in X.

Correct, if you are using TeXmacs on a Unix/Linux system, but if you
use TeXmacs on Windows/Macintosh you expect a different behaviour.

As they say, "The great thing about standards is that there are so
many to choose from".

I have been using TeXmacs (happily) for several years and watching the
list intermittently, but would like to contribute two thoughts on this
this issue:

First, is is possible to make automatic copying of selected text a
user-configurable option? No matter how much we unix-philes like the
unix behavior, it seems to me that the application should by default
conform to the standards of the system on which it is run. (Or perhaps
this is just another of the options I've not discovered yet?)

Second, I am also distressed by the ability to lose data in TexMacs,
though the mouse-based copy-cut-paste behavior in other unix
applications such as Emacs is just fine for me. TeXmacs is _not_ the
same as Emacs, in one very important way: when I want to paste text in
Emacs, I move the pointer to the right place and click _only_ the
middle button to paste where the pointer is pointing. In TeXmacs I
must move the pointer, click the right button to move the insertion
point, and then click the middle button. If I move the mouse at all
during that right-button click it becomes a select and data are
lost. I think there are several ways in which TeXmacs' mouse-based
selection seems to differ from Emacs', and I always find this
annoying, but the only place where I've bothered to track down just
what is the difference.

So I for one would like to see TeXmacs be _more_ like my beloved unix
applications.

Thanks for listening,
Dave Wonnacott