Re: [TeXmacs] Cutting text

  • From: Luca <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Cutting text
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 12:58:39 +0100

Luca wrote:

Javier Arantegui wrote:

Hello,

El Martes, 17 de Enero de 2006 12:04, Magnus Rohde escribió:

Actually, with the current behaviour the possibility for data-loss is
quite big, I think.

I agree with you in this point. I solved (partly) it in my Linux box using Klipper (1), part of KDE. I want to try iClip lite (2) in my Mac. Both are multiple clipboard and they can be quite useful.

(1) http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase/klipper/index.html
(2) http://inventive.us/iCliplite/

But, are you sure that the responsible of that behaviour is TeXmacs? Maybe it is X11. Look this question of http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1232.html:

" Q: How do I copy and paste using X11 for Mac OS X? A: X11 for Mac OS X allows cut and paste between X11 and native applications using PRIMARY and PASTEBOARD selections. You can cut text from X11 applications by selecting the text, performing a cmd-c or copy operation. You can paste in native Mac OS X applications as usual using Cmd-V.
Because there is no standard for pasting in X11 applications (some use middle mouse button, some use control-v, etc.), cmd-v doesn't work for pasting in X11 applications by design. As a result, the "Paste" menu item will be grayed out when X11 applications are in focus. You should use the control-v or the middle mouse button instead for pasting (See X11 Preferences for emulating a middle mouse button). The "Paste" menu option will be active when non-X windows are active within X11.app (e.g., when entering text in the "Customize Applications" menu item).
A common request has been to make cmd-v work across all X11 applications. This isn't possible without re-writing all X11 applications to standardize on a single approach, which is outside the domain of X11 for Mac OS X."

The ugly truth is that copy'n'paste is a mess in unix.

Since I am using TeXmacs on a Mac, I don't think I will "get used to
it" as it is the only program on my computer with this behaviour. All
other programs use Cmd-x/Cmd-c/Cmd-v, including text fields in
open/save dialogs, url-lines in browsers etc.

One question, how do you type \ in TeXmacs on the Mac? I cannot :-(

Javier

By the way , If I use C-w as the help balloons on the cut icon still suggest on my TexMacs I close the buffer...
What am I missing?
Luca

I figured out that Texmacs has been uniformized to the C-x C-v system but the help ballons not.
Probably they should be updated also in order not to produce confusions.
The fact is that if you put your cursor on the icon you get the wrong (old) short cut suggestion
Luca